In about 1928, a group of men raised
money to promote an airport for the city of Beatrice. This money
remained in the bank until 1940 when
the new Airport Corporation was founded. Stock was sold to forty
different business and professional men at $25 a share. Supporter
Wallace Robertson purchased 160 acres of land connecting to the
land already purchased by the corporation in Section 21 of Midland
Township. Mr. Robertson held the land until the money could be
raised by the corporation. A large hanger was built as a WPA project
and an instructional pilot training program was started that same
In 1942, a successful bond was passed by voters. Construction
was stopped in 1943 due to World War II but began again in 1945
when new paved runways were built. The familiar green and white
beacon light was added in 1947. Six metal hangers were built
in 1949 when a small based airline started service to Beatrice.
The brick terminal building was built in 1950. The building
offered a lobby, restrooms, and two offices. Local car dealer,
Fred Lenz, donated cars to the airport to be used by passengers
and pilots as a courtesy car.
By 1954 large twin aircraft were based at the airport
and a full time manager, Don Fitzwater, was hired
by the city of Beatrice. Employees became trained weather observers
when the airport became part of the teletype aviation weather
network in 1956.
Frontier Airline was brought to Beatrice thanks to work
of Charles Harman and William Scully. This airline connected
to St. Joseph and Kansas City, Missouri and Lincoln
and Omaha, Nebraska form 1959 until 1963.
A group of aviation enthusiasts, known as the Flying
Conestogas, was formed in 1968. This group promoted the airport
with various air shows and fund raising with airplane rides.
In 2002 due to the insight of
Authority and the support of the City
Council plans were in progress to build a new administration building.
In September of 2003 the new administration building was completed,
we moved from the old building into the new. In October of 2003 the
old administration building was torn down.